In 1866, Louis R. Buchoz gave the deed of a piece of land to the Whitmore Lake Methodists which is where the present Wesley United Methodist Church sits. The Hamburg – Whitmore Lake – Webster circuit of the Episcopal Church was organized in 1867 and church officials were elected. Construction of the Whitmore Lake church was discussed and the building was completed in 1868.
In 1893, a Ladies Aid Society was formed, one of their main objective was the assisting in the expenses of the church. In 1899-1900, the ladies aid raised funds for a church bell and an organ, completing payments on the organ in 1901. In April 1904, the ladies aid had the deed to the Whitmore Lake cemetery grounds recorded, and made the final payment in December of that year, for a total of $257.50.
Throughout the years, the church went through many improvements and many Pastors. In 1924, during the Sunday morning service, the fire alarms went off the and the congregation was broken up when it was announced that the parsonage was on fire. Along with a good portion of the parsonage, church records from 1909 – 1920 stored in the parsonage attic were completely destroyed. Many men in Whitmore Lake volunteered their time and labor in rebuilding the parsonage, completing the rebuilding in 6 weeks time.
In June 1938, it was decided that the Whitmore Lake church should merge with West Side United Methodist church in Ann Arbor due to the depression. The Whitmore Lake parsonage was rented out, and the pastor moved to Ann Arbor. Alternate meetings were held at these two churches. This went on until May 1, 1943 when the merger between the two churches dissolved.
Interest started in the Boy Scouts in May 1943 and it was voted to give the use of the church basement for their meetings (which are still held at the church to this day). A Girl Scout troop was organized in 1944, as well as a Triangle Club for young adults.
On April 7, 1953 a resolution was made to re-incorporate the Whitmore Lake Community Methodist Church as successor to the Whitmore Lake Methodist Episcopal Church. The reason for the change was due to the various community activities held at the church, such as Boy/Girl Scouts, Kiwanis, public dinners, etc.
Ground breaking for an addition to the church took place on October 7, 1956. The Whitmore Lake Schools graciously allowed the church to hold its services at the school during the construction of the church addition. The contractors completed their work by the middle of 1957, although there was still much work interior and exterior work to be done by the layman of the church. On June 24, 1958, a consecration service of the remodeled building was held in conjunction with the church’s 90th anniversary celebration.
Many more improvements have been made since that time, during which the church has always been a vital part to the community of Whitmore Lake.